I hope you haven’t given up on your resolutions quite yet. A new year means new goals, new strategies, new dreams, new skills, new you – so this week, I’ve put together a ton of awesome resources for you to get started on something new this year. Let’s get learning!
The struggle is too real.
Just about every two- and four-year university in North America offers a bachelor’s degree in marketing, and some even offer the opportunity to minor or specialize in digital marketing. But you can’t get a degree in the disciplines that correspond to an actual job — PPC, AdWords, Facebook Ads, online ad design, interactive ad copywriting and so on.
So, when you’re looking for new talent, unless you want to do the training yourself, you need to find candidates with prior experience.
A quick scroll through LinkedIn or AngelList shows a common thread of agencies and businesses seeking out a “number-driven, passionate, creative and analytical individual with 3+ years of experience managing accounts.”
The problem is that any motivated would-be marketing hire will claim to possess these skills. So what makes a candidate stand out? Here are the skills that differentiate the top PPC marketers.
10 MIN: Is Inbound Dead? | Inbound.org
- The total number of organic clicks Google refers will drop by ~5% by EOY
- Twitter and LinkedIn will reduce the amount of traffic they refer out to other sites
- One or more major SEO software providers will shutter as a result of increased pressure from Google and heavy competition
- Alexa will start to take market share away from Google, especially via devices with screens like the Echo Show
- One of the non-Google tech giants will start on a more serious competitor to YouTube
- FB’s Audience Network will get the investment it needs and become a serious website adtech player
- Mobile apps will fade as the default for how brands, organizations, and startups of all sizes invest in the mobile web; PWAs and mobile-first websites will largely take their place
- WordPress will continue its dominance over all other CMS’, growing its use from ~25% to 35%+ of the top few million sites on the web
- The US will start to feel the pain of net neutrality’s end with worse Internet connectivity, more limitations, and a less free-and-open web
4 MIN: YouTube SEO 101 | Search Engine Land
Why you’ll enjoy this: As YouTube transitions algorithm-centric platform, the data behind YouTube SEO strategies are becoming less of a black box. This post includes the key factors to getting higher rankings for your YouTube videos.
4 MIN: How to Start a Blog in 2018 | First Site Guide
Want to become a better writer? How about building your personal brand? This in-depth blog post tells you how to get started from scratch. Some Blog-ception going on here. 🤔
Send us your favorite articles, comics, memes, and videos using the hashtag #AdHawkWatch
- Google to Drop AdWords Review Extensions
- Facebook is testing a new section of the app specifically for local news and events
🎉 To a healthy and successful 2018! 🎉