If your business is the type that lives and breaths phone calls—shoutout to Santarpio’s Pizza in East Boston—enabling Call Extensions in your Google AdWords campaigns should be a no brainer. AdWords Call Extensions allow advertisers to show their phone number within their ads, making it easy for customers to call and place an order, check office hours, etc. (from the AdWords Glossary)
Your number will be displayed in one of two ways depending on if your ad appears on desktop or mobile. Desktop users will see your actual phone number. Folks on mobile devices will see an awesome little ‘Call’ button. When a customer clicks the ‘Call’ button, your phone will ring and you will be charged the equivalent of someone clicking on your ad text.
*Note: if you do not have a Google Forwarding number, we highly recommend you acquire one and set up call conversion tracking.
How to set up a call extension in AdWords:
- Select the Campaign you want to add to (you can also add Call Extensions at the ad group level)
- Click the tab
- Click the dropdown menu & select
- Click the button
- Click under the white box
- Follow the instructions to add your phone number
- If you only want to advertise your phone number during office hours, you will want to set up an Ad Schedule Bid Adjustment under Advanced and then ‘Create Custom Schedule’
- Your phone number should appear to the right of the white box (this is how you know it is selected as a Call Extension).
- Click one final time
We recommend enabling Google’s free call forwarding feature so that you are better able to track the performance of your call extensions.
Looking for more? Check out our complete guide to Adwords Ad Extensions.