Airports are one of the most granular and thus powerful geotargeting options offered by Google AdWords. Airport geotargeting, by definition, is a type of location targeting for AdWords display and search campaigns that allows you to show your ads to people who are currently inside airports (source: Google AdWords Glossary). By exclusively targeting airports, you can capture very specific demographics:
- Users surfing for your keywords awaiting flight boarding
- Users who are visiting a new city
- Users who are on their way out of town
This opens to door to a number of businesses that offer travel services, want to alert visitors of a certain restaurant, and much much more.
Not sure if airport targeting is right for you? There’s an easy, and FREE way to find out. Technically, if you only take your normal targeting and then layer airports within your targeted area, you gather segmented data without paying more money. For more hidden AdWords data, check out this post from Todd in Search Engine Land.
How to target Airports in AdWords
- From your campaign view, select the campaign that you would like to target towards Airports
- Click the tab
- Beneath Settings, click
- Click the button
- Click Advanced Search
- Above the Search Bar, click on
- From the dropdown select
- Beneath that, choose from the dropdown.
- Then enter the different locations within which you would like to target the commercial areas. For example, to target all airports in the New York Tri-State area, add New York, New Jersey, Connecticut in the Search Area shown below:
- Click once you’ve added all the locations
How to Make Bid Adjustments for Airports Geotargeting
Should you find that these audience segments are performing better, or worse, than your campaign averages, you can make bid adjustments to allocate more, or less of your budget to these airport locations.
- From the view in #3 above you should see a column
- Click next to the location where you would like to increase or decrease bids
- Type the percentage increase or increase into the bid entry box
Have questions on how to best leverage granular geotargeting for your business? Let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @AdHawk. We’ll respond within the hour!