It’s time the world knows about your fresh new mobile app.
Once you’ve mastered the basic search campaign, you may have notice that there are a number of extensions available to help polish your ad for different scenarios.
We’ve covered the most important ones except one:
- Location extensions
- Price Extensions
- Review Extensions
- Structured Snippet Extensions
- Sitelinks extensions
- Call extensions
- Callout extension
- App Extensions – TODAY!
In 10 words or less, the app extension: adds an app download button next to your search ad. As you can see below, the popular mobile game Clash of Clans uses an AdWords App Extension for their ads.
The app extension, as you will soon discover, has a few additional features to help you hyper-target your ad. For one, you can choose to have the app extension show only on mobile. If you make the same search for “Clash of Clans” on desktop, you will see this:
Supercell has chosen to display the app extension only on mobile. Finding the right time and place for app extensions is a tricky task, but with some practice and some insightful analytics, you can find your niche.
How to set up an App Extension in AdWords:
- Select the Campaign you want to add the App Extension to. You can add an App Extension to the whole campaign or on the Ad Group level
- Click the tab
- Click the drop-down menu & select
- Click the button
under the white box
- You can apply App extensions on the whole account level, campaign level, or ad group level. Select the proper toggle menu based on the desired campaign level. *Tip* this could be a great time to A/B test similar ads, changing which extensions are used so you can measure effectiveness of the various extensions.
- Select your desired Operating System. If you’re on both Apple’s App Store and Android’s Google Play store, make two separate ads for this. Be sure to select the OS that matches the app store your app is on. You don’t want people on android trying to download your App Store app
- Next, search for your app on the Google Play or iTunes Store
- Next, you can choose what your Call to Action button will say. We highly recommend choosing a direct call-to-action like “Download Now” “Free Today”
- [Optional] – Make sure that your ad is only showing on mobile
- After you are satisfied, click
- To make sure your app is active, it should be visible on the right hand side of the screen. The left hand side is inactive.
Master Ad Extensions: check out our complete guide to Adwords Ad Extensions.
Thanks for learning how to set up app extensions on Google AdWords! As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out in the comments or on twitter, using the hashtag #askAdHawk