Most advertisers know the end goal for winning the AdWords game. It’s pretty simple in theory—you want to increase the total number of conversions you see over a period of time, while decreasing your cost for each one of those conversions.
Simple in theory always ends up being more work than you imagined, but today we’re going to tell you about a strategy that really is simple. It will increase your conversions and decrease your costs all in the click of a button—it’s the enhanced CPC bid strategy.
The enhanced CPC bid strategy in AdWords automatically increases your keyword bids to be more competitive in select auctions. Google will only bid up to 30% more than your Max CPC bid to avoid overspending, and only does this in situations where the data shows that auction is likely to lead to a conversion.
Think of the enhanced CPC bid strategy as a way for your keywords to “Hulk out”. It won’t be used all the time, but when it is, watch out! Again, the goal is to help you see more conversions at a lower cost per conversion.
How to Set Up Enhanced CPC Bid Strategy in Adwords
Getting set up with the enhanced CPC bid strategy is one of the easiest features to enable in AdWords, but it’s important to remember 3 key things before you do:
- The enhanced CPC bid strategy only works if you’re tracking conversions
- The enhanced CPC bid strategy does not work well with “loose” conversion goals like pages per visit or time on site
- The enhanced CPC bid strategy works best when you’ve recorded at least 20 conversions (the more conversions, the better eCPC will perform)
To get up and running with the enhanced CPC bid strategy, simply follow the instructions below or watch the tutorial video at the end of this post:
- Click into the campaign in which you want to enable enhance CPC
- Click the “Settings” tab
- Make sure you are in the “All Settings” sub-tab
- Scroll down until you see “Bid Strategies”
- Click “Edit”
- Check the box the says “Enable Enhanced CPC”
- Click “Save”
That’s it! Once you have enabled the enhanced CPC bid strategy, Google will begin to increase your bids up to 30% when it believes doing so will lead to a conversion.
Have you ever experimented with the enhanced CPC bid strategy? Did it work well? Poorly? Let us know in the comments below, we would love to hear about your experiences!